These smore cookie bars are the most delicious melt in your mouth treat. The best part is that you don't have to wait to go camping to enjoy the combination of ooey marshmallows, melted chocolate and graham crackers. Even better these smore cookie bars come in a compact form that is so easy to eat that all you have to worry about is figuring out how to share all this goodness before you unknowingly eat half the pan on your own. Umhm.
You start this recipe like most cookie dough recipes. With butter and sugar.
Once they are creamed together you add the egg and vanilla.
Next it's time to add the dry ingredients. I like to use my trick of dumping the flour on top, then the other dry mixing ingredients and mixing them together lightly before mixing in to the wet ingredients. It saves me from getting a whole extra bowl dirty just to mix dry ingredients together.
Don't worry if the dough looks a little dry at first, it takes a bit of stirring to mix it all together. Then it's time to put half the dough into the 8 x 8 pan.
Press the mixture down evenly into every corner of the pan. My mix was a bit extra crumbly this time because I added extra graham crackers.
Now you will add the marshmallow creme. I don't worry about it touches every spot because it spread out as it bakes. I like a thinner layer of the marshmallow creme so I don't use a whole 7 ounce jar. I use about half of it. For recipes that use the extra marshmallow creme check out my peanut butter fudge or ranch brownies.
For the chocolate you can use traditional Hershey bars if you like, but I love to use Guittard milk chocolate chips and lots of them. I usually try to cover every surface with the chocolate chips to make sure that every bite has some chocolate.
Now it's time to put the rest of the cookie dough in drops on the top.
Then you bake it in the oven at 350 for 25-30 minutes until the top is nice and golden and the cookies look firm.
I like to bake the smore cookie bars for about 25 minutes and then let them set up for about 20 minutes before I cut into them. Even when you do that the chocolate is still melted and the marshmallows are gooey and it's like a little bit of smore heaven.
If you want to make them a day in advance, they hold up really well. Also if you have any leftovers the next day you can pop them in the microwave for a few seconds to get that "just out of the oven" experience. So. Good!
Smore Cookie Bars Recipe
1/2 c (one stick) butter, softened
1/4 c brown sugar
1/2 c sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/3 c flour
3/4 c graham cracker crumbs (about 6-7 rectangle sheets. I have used a whole packet of 9 and it works still)
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 11.5 oz bag chocolate chips
1/2 jar marshmallow creme (7 oz jar)
1. Crush up graham cracker crumbs in a blender, processor or by sticking in a heavy duty bag and smashing with a can or rolling pin. Set them aside.
2. Cream together the butter and sugars.
3. Add in the egg and vanilla and mix well.
4. Measure the flour and add it on top of the wet ingredients. Then add in the baking powder, salt and graham crackers. Lightly mix the dry ingredients together before adding to the wet ingredients.
5. Press half the dough into an 8 x 8 pan.
6. Spread the marshmallow creme on top of the dough.
7. Now sprinkle the chocolate chips over the entire surface.
8. Drop the remaining cookie dough over the top. It's ok if it doesn't completely cover the marshmallow and chocolate chips.
9. Bake in a preheated oven at 350 for 25-30 minutes. If you notice it's getting dark on top you may want to cover the top with tin foil the last few minutes of baking.
10. Let the bars cool down at least 20 minutes before cutting them up.
If you love these smore cookies as much as I do, let me know! I would love to be tagged in an Instagram picture or to hear your thoughts below. I'm warning you now, you will definitely need a plan for who to share these Smore Cookie Bars with!